Thursday, May 15, 2014

fin ... y empezar de nuevo

Suddenly in the last two weeks I find myself singing these songs. They bubble up at times for unknown reasons, each time a different one. As if coming to express something lingering under the skin, something I am not consciously aware of.

I was trying to explain to someone how we learned the songs, because I do know them now, and it made me think back to the first day. Never a formal moment in the process, just learning by listening and doing. Becoming familiar with the rhythms and intonation little by little. Actually I wish I had a recording of our group singing these songs because otherwise I will never again hear them they way I learned and came to love them.

In a few short months I have come to know the amorphous edges of another world, its emotion, the space between its words, the way it relates to me, or doesn't. I will keep exploring, digging deeper and referring back to the scatter of word associations, films, books and artists that were whirled around before us in the course of your classes. Breadcrumbs for years to come, leading I'm sure to magical endings.

For me, as it seems to be for you, this world is not quite pinned down. There is much to be fleshed out, and perhaps it is best that way. I do think that this has kept my commentary reduced. Sometimes it is even difficult to know what questions to ask.... but sometimes learning es asi.

And too, there has been the discovery that I can work with ideas in a visual sense, not just to explain a concept or design, but to wrestle with something less defined, and that through my hand some sort of answer might come out. I will keep this knowledge and practice close, and I hope to work toward a fluency in this language, much more powerful and mysterious at times than words could be.

Gracias Tony, for opening the door, and then the floodgates. I'll be seeing your again soon and often, I hope.



No comments:

Post a Comment