Monday, May 12, 2014
daydreaming los angeles
The Red Car came lumbering along, the "A" line. I climbed aboard and took a window seat... I was observing the streetlamps, an old habit. Styles change as one passes from one district to another, one era to another. Very interesting for one who travels by streetcar at night.
-Ry Cooder, "La Vida es un sueño"
This story truly takes your into another world, foreign I think even to those who inhabit Los Angeles. The naive and delicate observations of the trio man could only be his. The perch of the streetcar moving through the quiet streets is the perfect vantage point for our man Arturo, who seems to glide through life seeing, but not always understanding, the strange things that come his way. The trio songs have a similar character, removed and dreamy, full of poetic sentiment behind a wooden mask.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment